What we have been doing at Talented Tots to create a Hyper-Clean Childcare Bubble
The following practices will be continuing at Talented Tots with additional new strict (COVID19 Based) rules in place for when we’re open in level 3 on Tuesday 28th April and for when we move to level 2 or level 1. We trust you will understand, value and be confident about the stringent rules, bearing in mind that they are coming from a place in our hearts of absolute care and absolute commitment in doing the right things as well as doing things right.
Ongoing best practices at Talented Tots
- HAND SANITISER SUPPLY: we are well stocked with hand sanitisers and have up to 6 months’ supply in reserve (i.e. these are commercial packs from suppliers, not the retail/grocery store hand pumps)
- HAND WASHING: hand washing immediately when children and staff first arrive (to safely transfer from your home bubble into our hyper clean bubble)
- CLEANING: our teachers regularly sanitise resources, furniture and toys during the day.
- CLEANING RESOURCES: only easily cleanable surface resources are brought out for play.
- NO SOFT TOYS: If we can’t wash and disinfect it, we won’t use it.
- DAILY DEEP CLEANS: we will clean our centre thoroughly every day.
- WARMER CLASSROOMS: As per our normal practice, we are pleased that the Ministry of Education has raised the minimum temperature in ECE centres to 18 degrees C as part of their upgraded COVID19 regulations.
- PHYSICAL DISTANCING:
- Inside our centre bubble: we have always been proud of our generously designed classroom spaces. We will be encouraging physical distancing in the most respectful, understanding and kindest manner as possible for our children to understand. We are even letting them create and lead new rules for us too. (i.e. practising their role as our future leaders), based on http://covid19.govt.nz/;
- Outside our centre bubble: (i.e. the edges of our bubble at reception/front door/carpark): we will adhere to the 1m rule based on http://covid19.govt.nz/
- CARE FOR TEACHERS: We are providing moisturising hand creams for our teachers who are continually washing their hands.
- TEACHER BUBBLES: Our dedicated teachers are taking extra precautions inside their own secure home bubbles too. However, if they begin to show or feel COVID19 symptoms, then rule #5 below applies.
- TEACHERS’ SAFETY: For any of our teachers who are vulnerable (as identified here: http://covid19.govt.nz/individual-and-households/health-and-wellbeing/vulnerable-people/ and are at risk of getting a severe illness from COVID-19, they will be encouraged to stay at home, while we continue to support them with MSD subsidised renumeration as per Level 4.
TALENTED TOTS NEW COVID19 prevention rules
- CONTACTLESS THEREMOMETER CHECKS FOR ENTRY:
- All staff, parents, whanau, children, will be checked outside the front entrance/door for high temperature (“at least 38degC” as specified by the Ministry of Health);
- If there is a queue then please observe physical distancing while you wait;
- If anyone has a high temperature, they will not be allowed in the centre;
- Turning children away like this will be managed kindly, respectfully and sensitively. Staff will continue to update Storypark every day with fun activities, readings and recommendations for those children who are staying at home. We feel strongly that we should remain connected to our Kindy children and whanau during this time.
- We want to be as inclusive as we can, while enforcing this strict rule for the health and safety of everyone in the centre as well as our nation;
- The parent should then contact Healthline on 0800 358 5453, for their next steps, before returning to our centre.
- ON ARRIVAL (DROPOFF) TO OUR CENTRE:
- Parents will not be allowed to enter our hyper-clean classrooms. Instead parents will be asked to bring their child to the outer front door or reception, where a teacher will greet you (at 1m distance) take both your temperatures, and if under 38degC will welcome your child inside and sign them into our safe “mini-bubble” classrooms and playgrounds;
- Your child will wash their hands immediately upon arriving and be ready for a day of “clean fun”;
- Only one family member should bring your child to the front door (this is to limit crowding and apply social distancing at our entrances.)
- ON PICKUP AT OUR CENTRE:
- Parents will not be allowed to enter our hyper-clean centres and classrooms. Instead parents will be asked to call from the carpark or wait outside the front door/reception. One of our teachers will sign out, wash your child’s hands and bring your child to you (i.e. transfer your child from our safe centre bubble into your safe home bubble.)
- “MINI-BUBBLES” COMPRISING OF UP TO 10 CHILDREN:
- As per the Ministry of Education’s new COVID rules, each child’s “micro-bubbles” may occupy space inside a “mini-bubble” of up to 10 children and their teachers in our rooms. These “mini-bubbles” will remain together during each day as a tight group;
- Our Adult: Child ratios will remain best in class as we have always maintained to ensure highest quality care and education;
- We will work with parents on a need’s basis (i.e. essential workers, parents who must return to work, etc) in determining the priority-based makeup of each “mini-bubble” group.
- NO ENTRY IF SYMPTOMATIC: If any teachers or parent or child feels any of the COVID19 symptoms as stated on the Ministry of Health website:
- A cough
- A high temperature (at least 38degC)
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Sneezing and runny nose
- Temporary loss of smell
They will not be allowed entry into our centre. See guidelines here:
- NO ENTRY IF SYMTOMATIC: If any parent starts to feel any of the COVIDE19 symptoms while at work during the day, and if there is no other pick up option for the child, then before entering our centre to pick up their child, they must call our centre and wait outside the front entrance. One of our teachers will sign out and bring their child to them. The parent should then contact Healthline on 0800 358 5453 for their next steps, before retuning to our centre. Until then, rule #5 applies.
- NO FEES IF FORCED TO BE AWAY: We understand that the entire world is in unchartered waters, so we are lifting up to the “spirit of the law”, rather than the “letter of the law”. We want to be as kind and as respectful and as supportive as we can to help you through this.
- CANCELLATION OF ENROLMENT: If a parent is found negligent, or puts our community at risk, or fails to follow our rules and Ministry of Health Guidelines, then their enrolment will be cancelled and we may be required to report them to the Ministry of Health.
- NO ENTRY FOR VISITORS: we have shifted all non-essential meetings at our centre into ZOOM meetings for the foreseeable future.
- NO ENTRY FOR WALK-INS: we do not allow walk-ins by anyone with non-enrolled children to any of our centres for the foreseeable future.
- NO EXCURSIONS: we have postponed all centre excursions for the foreseeable future to eliminate contact with strangers or unclean surfaces. There is ample exciting discovery, exploration and fun awaiting our children still in our nature-packed centre.
- PRE-BOOKED TOURS: new registered parents booked in for a tour must be asymptomatic and must use our hand sanitisers or wash their hands on site before starting the tour. We will maintain a 1m distance rule as pre requirements here http://covid19.govt.nz/ New parents being toured will not need to touch/contact anything. Once enrolled, rule s#1 - #13 continue to apply for the foreseeable future.
- GREETINGS: Friendly “East Coast Waves” and respectful “Salutes” will be practiced at our centre from now on 😊
We are fortunate that our teachers, our parents, our whanau and our immediate contact communities all responded quickly and seriously to this, and nobody connected with our centre has been in close contact with someone who has been confirmed as having COVID-19.
With the above established elevated practices and strict rules to safely transfer between home bubbles and our centres bubble, these give us the highest degree of confidence in our health and safety systems for our precious Tamariki and dedicated teachers.